|Bryco #59 I made a firing pin for|
Basically what is to follow will be a picture dump. Though I didnt bother taking pics a lot of times, I did bother just as often. I will post again later and go in to detail on the 1 or 2 projects that 'deserve' that sort of attention. The pics and the brief descriptions will have to do until then.
A quick summary of all thats went down, is as follows -
- Added a band saw, air compressor and drill press to the machinery list.
- Annexed about 10' of the garage, which now holds the saw, stock rack, bench grinder, and air compressor.
- Added coolant to the lathe and am in the process of putting tapered bearings in the spindle (this should be a GIGANTIC improvement in rigidity). I also lapped the ways and made a backboard for it that holds 4 bins for organizing and added a big led worklight which will be wired in with the machine and switch added on the panel, just like the coolant. Ive also started mounting the steppers.
- Organized everything a little better since my space is so incredibly limited. Making it all fit and not being a total cluster is harder than it sounds and doing just a few tool box drawers has been known to eat up a couple hours.
|These are the gib strips for the saddle(cant remember what they are called). See that whitish line that runs parallel to the edge? Thats where it has been adjusted improperly and was only making contact with the bottom corner of the |
|The prism under the saddle. Look how grubby and nasty. Thats supposed to be a precision surface. Your working surfaces cant look like that and expect good parts when the sizes or tolerances are the same size as defects lol..|
|Some pics after lapping|
|The back of the apron. This only had a piece of thin clear plastic to protect/keep clean the internals. It was full of chips when I took it apart, and I aint even had air until recently, so it wasnt me blowing chips in it. I cant believe it, but I forgot to take a pic of the new cover I made from brass. I tried to get as good a pic as I could with it back on the machine. Below is the result of that effort.|
|Since Ill have stepper motors handling power feed, and hopefully threading, I have no use for the gear train any more. It will likely stay this naked on back or even more so. The lever and tumbler gears right under the spindle bore are for feed direction, I think Im gonna use that whole area to add a back gear. A back gear with those tapered bearings and I could take some monster cuts. Ill have to be careful since at that point it could take a cut that was beyond the limit of the other parts strength. I could seriously bust some shit.|
|That looks rather pimp if I say so myself! I still have a ways to go on it. I am remaking the standoffs to add at least a couple more inches to accommodate the x axis stepper and put less of a bind on the coolant line.|
|I made some 1.5" standoffs for the chip guard. I had it completely off with no plans of putting it back on because it was really just in the way, the way it was before,bolted directly to the bed casting. Chips would build up on that 'shelf' and the only way to get rid of them was to scoop them up and throw em away. Now chips can make it all the way to the chip pan ,OMFG imagine that!|