Thursday, May 29, 2014

OSGP pt.2



Here's a couple pics showing what I have to work with. I'm pretty curious to see if that little burner is even gonna give me 220F. If not, there are things we can do that could squeeze a few more degrees out. Some, like insulating the body with a welding blanket, is something I want to do anyway. Besides that, Im sure there are a number of ways to adjust how hot it burns. Surely there is some way for me to tweak the fuel/air mix. If not I think I can make that happen anyway.

Looking at the valve for this burner, and how it connects to the burner, it's different than the burners in the gas grill side. The valve assembly, how it connects to the burner, the burner where the valve goes in--all of it is different than the other grill's burners. So, I don't feel 100% comfortable taking too wild of liberties with the way the valve relates to the burner and tube. This means that rather than putting the burner right in the middle of the grill, where Id rather it be, I have to put it on the end and that fat ass valve assembly dictates which end.

I don't know if I will be able to get away with making me a place to mount the valve assy. As I said, I'm afraid to deviate too much from the way it was when it was where it was designed to be. But I don't like the idea of attaching the valve assy to the grill body. I need to nail those dimensions down by dry fitting shit until I have a place to put it besides straight on the grill body.

I need a longer hose than the one that is already attached to the valve assy. Besides that, I just need to get a drill so I can open up a hole or two for the burner to go. Then, I plan to fix some kind of basket over the burner for wood chips. I want to mount a thermistor in there before I start using the grill, because I know that already having a sensor attached and dry wired in will help keep me motivated on the true mission of the OSGP, to make a bad ass grill.

It doesn't quite reach to the center, but it'll be close enough.

Will she make smoke and hold 225? Id actually like it to go to and hold 300 as well, we'll see.
The valve assembly with the knob removed. You aint squeezin' that in between nuthin'

No comments:

Post a Comment